Blood: See Viral Blood Culture
Place 1.0 – 5.0 mL of bone marrow in a lavender-top (EDTA) tube(s). Invert several times to mix bone marrow. Do Not centrifuge. Send in original Vacutainer tube. Forward unprocessed bone marrow promptly at ambient temperature only.
1. Collect 1.0 – 2.0 mL of specimen obtained by physician through the biopsy channel of the bronchoscope.
2. Transfer specimen into a luki tube.
3. Transport to the Microbiology Laboratory immediately.
1. If lesions are present, swab vigorously with a sterile swab.
2. If lesions are not present, remove exudates prior to collection of specimen.
3. Gently insert separate large swab into endocervical canal past squamocolumnar junction (1 cm into the cervical canal). Rotate for 5-10 seconds.
4. To avoid contamination, withdraw the swab while avoiding touching any vaginal surfaces.
1. Disinfect skin site with 2% tincture of iodine.
2. Insert needle with stylet at L3 – L4, L4 – L5, or L5 – S1 interspace.
3. Upon reaching the subarachnoid space, remove the stylet and collect 1 – 2 mL of fluid into each of 3 sterile CSF tubes.
4. Deliver tube #2 to Microbiology Lab immediately.
5. Do Not place specimen in viral transport media.
1. Wash vesicles with sterile saline
2. Unroof the vesicle and absorb vesicular fluid into a dry swab.
3. Vigorously scrape base of freshly exposed lesion with swab to obtain cells which contain virus.
1. Prepare suction set up on low to medium suction
2. Wash hands and put on protective barriers (e.g., gloves, gown, mask)
3. Place child supine and obtain assistant to hold child during procedure.
4. Attach luki tube to suction tubing and #6 French suction catheter.
5. Insert catheter into nostril and pharynx without applying suction.
6. Apply suction as catheter is withdrawn.
1. Obtain 2 specimens using 2 NP swabs (i.e., MiniTip™ Culturette).
2. Gently insert swab through nose into posterior nasopharynx.
3. Gently rotate swab slowly for 5 seconds to absorb secretions.
4. Collect a second specimen in the same manner.
Do Not use a dry swab to collect an eye culture.
1. Moisten swab with sterile saline.
2. Retract lower lid and firmly swab conjunctival surface with enough pressure to collect epithelial cells. Avoid eyelid border and lashes.
1. Firmly sample base of lesion(s) with swab.
1. Insert swab approximately 1 inch into anal canal.
2. Gently move the swab from side to side to sample the anal crypts.
1. Collect stool in a clean, dry bedpan or on a newspaper over the toilet.
2. Transfer specimen to a plastic, leakproof container. Do not overfill or contaminate the outside of the container.
3. Forward promptly to Microbiology Lab and refrigerate.
1. Depress the tongue with a tongue depressor so the swab does not touch the tongue.
2. Sample the posterior pharynx, tonsils, and inflamed areas with a sterile swab.
1. Submit specimen in a screw capped, sterile container.
2. Maintain sterility and forward promptly.
1. Clean glans with soap and water.
2. Rinse area with wet gauze pads.
3. While holding foreskin retracted, begin voiding.
4. After several mL have passed, collect a minimum of 5.0 mL without stopping flow of urine.
5. Maintain sterility and forward immediately to the Microbiology Lab. Refrigerate.
1. Thoroughly clean urethral area with soap and water.
2. Rinse area with wet gauze pads.
4. While holding labia apart, begin voiding.
5. After several mL have passed, collect a minimum of 5.0 mL without stopping flow of urine.
6. Maintain sterility and forward immediately to the Microbiology Lab. Refrigerate.
1. Wipe away excessive amount of secretion or discharge.
2. If lesions are present swab vigorously with a sterile swab.
3. If lesions are not present, obtain secretions from mucosal membrane of the vaginal vault with a sterile swab.