1. Obtain 2 swabs using NP flexible wire swabs.
2. Gently insert swab through nose into posterior nasopharynx.
3. Gently rotate swab slowly for 5 seconds to absorb secretions.
4. Collect a second swab in the same manner.
5. Maintain sterility and forward promptly at ambient temperature.
1. Tilt patient’s head back at a 70° angle.
2. Insert rubber bulb syringe containing 1.0 - 2.0mL of sterile saline until it occludes the nostril.
3. Collect specimen (Minimum: 1.0 mL) with one complete squeeze and release bulb.
4. Repeat in other nostril.
5. Place aspirate in container and forward promptly.
1. Prepare suction set up on low to medium suction.
2. Wash hands and put on protective barriers (e.g., gloves, gown, mask).
3. Place child supine and obtain assistant to hold child during procedure.
4. Attach luki tube to suction tubing and #6 French suction catheter.
5. Insert catheter into nostril and pharynx without applying suction.
6. Apply suction as catheter is withdrawn. If necessary, suction 0.5 – 1.0 mL of normal saline through catheter in order to clear the catheter and increase the amount of specimen in the luki tube.