Peak level: Draw 30 - 40 minutes after completion of intravenous administration of antibiotic, 1 hour after intramuscular dose, or 1-2 hours after oral dose.
Trough level: Draw just before next dose.
The serum specimen must be drawn aseptically. Any bacterial contamination from the skin may interfere with the results.
If the patient is receiving more than one antibiotic, the serum is drawn at the lowest and highest concentrations of the combined antibiotics. Multiple dosage schedules may require consultation with pharmacy for optimal collection time.
Venipuncture for patients less than 2 months of age: Prep with 2% tincture of iodine.
1. Scrub venipuncture site with 70% alcohol for 1 min using the Frepp® applicator. Allow to dry.
2. Using the Sepp® applicator, apply 2% tincture of iodine to site starting at the center and moving outward in concentric circles. Allow to dry.
3. If the site must be touched during venipuncture, disinfect the gloved fingers.
4. Collect 6.0 mL of blood in a red top tube.
5. Transport to the lab immediately.
Venipuncture for patients more than 2 months of age: Prep with CloraPrep Sepp® Applicator.
1. Break the Sepp® ampule to release the 2% CHG.
2. Apply the CloraPrep solution using a back-and-forth friction scrub for 30 seconds.
3. Allow the area to dry for 30 seconds.
4. If the site must be touched during venipuncture, disinfect the gloved fingers.
5. Collect 6.0 mL of blood in a red top tube.
6. Transport to the lab immediately.
1. Prep catheter port with 2% tincture of iodine/betadine followed by 70% alcohol and allow to dry.
2. Aseptically collect 6.0 mL of blood through the injection port. Blood may be collected without first drawing a discard.
3. Transfer into a red top tube.