1. Specimen obtained by physician through the biopsy channel of the bronchoscope.
2. Transfer specimen into a sterile container.
1. Carefully insert a minitip swab into the posterior nasopharynx via the nose, collecting one each from right and left nares.
2. Rotate the swab slowly for 5 s to absorb secretions, keeping the swab near the floor and the septum of the nose.
1. Depress tongue with a tongue depressor.
2. Sample the posterior pharynx, tonsils, and inflamed areas with a sterile swab.
1. Tilt patient’s head back at a 70° angle.
2. Insert rubber bulb syringe containing 1 – 2 mL of sterile saline until it occludes the nostril.
3. Collect specimen (Minimum: 1 mL) with one complete squeeze and release bulb.
4. Repeat in other nostril.
5. Place washings in container.
1. Prepare suction set up on low to medium suction.
2. Wash hands and put on protective barriers (e.g., gloves, gown, mask).
3. Place child supine and obtain assistant to hold child during procedure.
4. Attach luki tube to suction tubing and #6 French suction catheter.
5. Insert catheter into nostril and pharynx without applying suction.
6. Apply suction as catheter is withdrawn.
If necessary, suction 0.5 - 1 mL of normal saline through catheter in order to clear the catheter and increase the amount of specimen in the luki tube.
7. Place aspirate in sterile container.