Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Children’s – Minneapolis
Children’s - St. Paul
- The Pediatric Intensive Care Units are equipped and staffed to provide care for the full spectrum of pediatric critical illnesses.
- Consultation and assessment for emergency and continuing care of critically-ill infants, children, and adolescents to age 18.
- ECMO services for patients with severe respiratory and/or cardiac insufficiency. (Children’s – Minneapolis.)
- 24-hour in-house coverage by pediatric intensivists, board-certified or board-eligible in critical care; some physicians also are board-certified in pediatric pulmonology and pediatric anesthesiology.
- Patients primarily experience one-to-one nursing care. Dedicated to pediatrics, nurses are skilled in high-intensity therapies and interventions, medication administration, and the latest technology.
- Parent-to-Parent volunteers, parents who have “been there,” offer nonmedical support to families currently in the PICU.
- Ongoing parent education with comprehensive discharge teaching and planning.