Happy National Volunteer Week! This week, we will be utilizing our blog to highlight a variety of amazing volunteers, as well as outstanding staff who work with volunteers and “alumni” of our program who have gone on to careers in health care.
To kick off this week of celebration, we wanted to inspire you with “The Top 10 Reasons Why Nurses Love Volunteers!” This Top 10 list was submitted by Lottie Rike, 6th Floor Clinical Educator, on behalf of the 6th floor nursing staff at Children’s-Minneapolis.
“The Top 10 Reasons Why We Love Our Volunteers”
10. They are LIFESAVERS!
9. Sometimes they are the only ones our patients want, and the only ones who can get them to smile.
8. They provide the needed TLC that we can’t always give.
7. They are ready and willing for the RESCUE MISSION.
6. When we have to perform painful procedures they are the OASIS… a CALMNESS.
5. They help reassure parents that their child will be tended to when they need to leave for other commitments.
4. They add a new “non-medical” perspective that is about play, cuddling and comfort.
3. They are so willing to give up their own needs and wants to eagerly, happily come spend time with kids here.
2. They complete the CIRCLE OF FAMILY CENTERED CARE.
1. They are our KNIGHTS IN SHINY RED ARMOR!