Clinical Rotation - For "Hands On" Experiences

Clinical Rotations are very limited on both campuses due to the contractual agreements currently in place with the University of Minnesota and other training programs.

Additional opportunities for clinical rotations are offered, but are at the discretion of the Medical Education Department Staff and may be affected by time of year, expected housestaff assignments, and individual educational/clinical historic performance. See below for the process of securing this type of rotation – please be aware that you must make the arrangements with the professional staff member who will act as your preceptor. Medical Education Staff cannot solicit these opportunities on your behalf.

If you are interested in obtaining a clinical rotation on either the St. Paul or Minneapolis campus:

  1. Check with your educational institution to verify that a contract is in place between your educational program and Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. If an agreement is in place, your program's coordinator or administrative assistant can help determine the availability of a rotation at Children's by contacting the Graduate Medical Education Specialist.
  2. If your educational institution does not have an agreement with Children's, there are several components that need to be completed prior to an acceptance. It is best to plan for your desired rotation 6 to 12 months in advance in order to obtain approval and compile the necessary information. Understand that you must currently be enrolled in an accredited training program and have passed the necessary examinations/competencies for your level of training.
    1. Identify a Children's professional staff member who is available to act as your preceptor. This member must contact the GME specialist to discuss coordination of your request.
    2. If a rotation is available, AND you have an agreement in place with a staff member to act as your preceptor, THEN the GME specialist will outline the procedure to implement a contract with your educational program. A PLA/contract is mandatory for ALL clinical rotations.
    3. Receive final approval from the Graduate Medical Education department at Children's.
    4. Finalize dates of rotation and details with your preceptor and copy the information to the GME specialist at Children's.

For a clinical rotation on either campus, Children's must have on file:

  1. A Program Letter of Agreement (PLA) or contract agreement from your program, if applicable.
  2. Required Documentation for your level of training

  • Training Levels
  1. Fellows
  2. Residents
  3. Non-UMN medical students and PA students<
  • UMN Medical Students- Please contact your university coordinator if you are interested in a rotation at Children's.

After all of the requirements have been satisfied and all documentation is received, please contact GME coordinator at the campus on which you will be working to discuss details of the rotation.

St. Paul – (651) 220-6130

Minneapolis – (612) 813-6206

Levels of training

Mini-Fellow is a fully trained individual who engages in a defined educational experience to update, refresh, or enhance the individual's cognitive or procedural clinical skills. A Mini-Fellow need not be a Member of the Professional Staff, but must be a licensed, practicing physician.

If you are a physician looking for "Mini Fellow" experience, please contact the Outreach Department's toll free number at (888) 644-4542.

Fellow is a Physician who is generally fully trained in a specialty who is participating in a subspecialty fellowship program.

Resident is a medical school graduate who is currently in training in an internal or affiliated residency program at the Hospital. The first year of residency is sometimes referred to as the Internship year.

Foreign Medical Graduate - It is with regret that the Medical Education Department of Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota can no longer accept applications for externships to rotate on the inpatient/wards rotation on either the St. Paul or the Minneapolis Campuses. We can only accept externs at the request of an accredited training institution. The institution will need to review the foreign medical graduates status for acceptance into that training institution.

Medical Student ("MS") is a student currently enrolled in an accredited medical school who is participating in a clerkship, elective, preceptorship, or observership, and who is registered with the Department of Medical Education.

Physician Assistant Student ("PA Student") is a student enrolled in an accredited Physician Assistant training program.