There are non-clinical rotations (also known as observerships and/or shadowing experiences) available. A non-clinical rotation is a learning experience that entails observation of the clinical activities of a member of the Children's Hospitals and Clinics (Children's) Professional Staff and involves NO HANDS-ON CONTACT with patients. This experience takes place over a concentrated period of time and must have a specific sponsor who is a member of the Professional Staff.
For an observership through Medical Education, you must:
- Be a medical student or higher.
- Obtain a preceptor (sponsor), who must be a member of Children's professional staff.
- Schedule your own observership dates with your preceptor and notify Medical Education of the proposed dates.
- Contact the site you will be rotating to:
- Obtain the enrollment link for the enrollment procedure.
- Inform the on-site coordinator of the approved dates for your observership and with preceptor's name and location.
Please contact the GME coordinator at the campus site you are planning to observe for more information or with any questions.
Minneapolis Campus: 612-813-6206
St. Paul Campus: 651-220-6130
If you are seeking an observership but are not yet enrolled in a medical school, please visit our Healthcare Careers Exploration Program page.
(Foreign Medical Graduate/ or other United States Programs)
It is with regret that the Medical Education Department of Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota can no longer accept applications for externships to rotate on the inpatient/wards rotation on either the St. Paul or the Minneapolis Campuses.
We can only accept externs at the request of an accredited training institution. The institution will need to review the foreign medical graduates status for acceptance into that training institution.