The St. Paul Children’s Clinic and Children’s Hospital Medicine team are now working together to provide 24-hour, in-house coverage for all patients admitted to the St Paul Children’s Clinic service.The St. Paul campus coverage was expanded to enhance safety, meet growing patient needs and to support Children’s trainees, as part of an effort to build toward a 24/7/365 hospitalist service.
The St. Paul Children’s Clinic doctors currently ensure 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in-house coverage for clinic patients. With the addition of a 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift, attending level providers are now in-house overnight as well. These physicians will accept new admissions for the St Paul Children’s Clinic, assist with cross-cover concerns on inpatients on their service and support the education of and care provided by the house staff.
The physicians covering these shifts are current members of Children’s professional staff; familiar with Children’s policies, protocols and its electronic medical record.
Admissions and referring physician information:
1. Between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., all new admissions for the St Paul Children’s Clinic service should be called to the in-house attending on pager (651) 629-2481 as noted in Amion.
2. Per Children’s protocol, that attending will indicate if the house staff should be contacted to take the admission.
Nursing staff and others:
1. Questions regarding patients followed by the house staff should always be first directed to the house staff. Their involvement is indicated on the patient banner in Cerner.
2. If a concern is raised that you believe warrants attending involvement, the call should go to the in-house attending at (651) 629-2481, as noted in Amion, rather than to the physician on call for the clinic. Allina and Health Partners will continue to take calls on their own patients.
3. The in-house attending should be considered a resource to help you at any time. Recall, however, that the Rapid Response Team, PICU physicians, and Code Blue teams are always available to you and should be used in any urgent or emergent situation.
If you have any questions or concerns about these procedures, please page: Emily Chapman, MD, Medical Director, Hospital Medicine (651) 629-1889 or Gigi Chawla, MD, Medical/Surgical Director, Children’s St. Paul Campus (651) 629-3669.