Children’s and St. Cloud Hospital partner on cancer/blood disorders pediatric care
Children in Central Minnesota needing pediatric specialty care for cancer and blood disorders will now be able to stay closer to home through an expanded partnership between St. Cloud Hospital and Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota.
The new formalized cancer and blood disorders partnership will:
• Keep children closer to their family, doctor and home when possible, and provide a continuum of care to Children’s - Minneapolis campus when specialized care is required.
• Give St. Cloud Hospital access to Children’s treatment guidelines, protocols and recommendations.
• Allow oncologists and hematologists from Children’s to be more present at St. Cloud Hospital, scheduling outpatient visits several days each month.
• Help improve the lives of sick children and drive better outcomes through co-management and coordination of care at the site that is most appropriate for treatment and for patients and their families.
• Provide educational opportunities for physicians related to pediatric cancer and blood disorder specialty care.
The partnership helps meet the growing and evolving medical needs of patients and families throughout Central Minnesota by improving access to high quality, family-centered care for kids fighting cancer and blood disorders. It formalizes a 10-year relationship between St. Cloud Hospital and Children’s and allows both organizations to builds upon the success of a collaborative care model. Already the new partnership has helped St. Cloud Hospital form a Pediatric Sedation Program this past spring, and talks are underway to expand the relationship into neurosciences within the next year.