The Mother Baby Center: More than a building; a new way of delivering care
- Published on Wednesday, 06 February 2013 12:46
- Every year there are nearly 480,000 premature births in the United States. That’s one in every eight live births. In Minnesota, the preterm birth rate is on the rise and has increased by 26 percent since 1990.
- Every year, 120,000 newborns are born with birth defects, and they are a leading cause of infant deaths in Minnesota.
- Maternal age is rising: one in five women in the United Stateshas her first child after age 35.
- Nearly one-third of women in the United States don’t receive prenatal care.
The opening of The Mother Baby Center, a partnership between Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota and Abbott Northwestern Hospital, represents a new way of delivering care that reflects the current state of pregnancy and birth. The Mother Baby Center isn’t just a building. It brings together the state’s leaders in obstetrics and gynecology, and children’s health to develop a system-wide approach to address the challenges and opportunities in prenatal and neonatal health.
A new model of care
The overarching goal of The Mother Baby Center is to provide high quality, family-centered maternal-fetal care. Reaching that goal means integrating all of the prenatal services throughout the Allina Health System with the Center, and joining it with Children’s expertise in neonatal care. Through this partnership, the Center will offer some of the best care in the region, including:
- Improved quality of maternal-fetal care delivered in the Upper Midwest. The Center will be better equipped to treat and proactively prevent high-risk pregnancies and deliveries.
- Specific to serving older mothers, The Mother Baby Center will have added expertise and resources such as an OB psychiatrist and maternal-fetal medicine geneticist. It will be one of only a few centers in the United States to provide a full spectrum of fetal therapies.
- Fetal surgeries to repair life-threatening conditions in babies in the womb or right after birth.
- While we will not integrate medical records, this partnership enables us to look at integrated EMR data of both the mom and the baby for the first time.
As a system-wide service line, The Mother Baby Center will also allow for standardization of care practices among the hospitals. These approaches will work to achieve even better outcomes in pre-term births, elective cesarean deliveries and breastfeeding practices.
Learn more about the Mother Baby Center
You can learn a lot more about the services The Mother Baby Center will provide on their website and blog.. On January 31, Children’s held a live Twitter Tour of the facility, including photos and interesting facts. If you want to learn first-hand about how the Mother Baby Center will make a difference, read Veronica’s story about the delivery of her daughter 15 weeks early. Local TV stations WCCO and Fox 9 also give an inside look at the facility.