Preventing Gun Violence
- Get rid of guns in your home. If this is not possible, keep guns unloaded in a locked area. Store the ammunition in a different, safe spot.
- Limit how much your child watches TV or plays with video games that involve gun violence.
- Don't give your children toy guns for play.
- Encourage nonviolent play.
- Know the gun situation in the homes where your children go to visit.
- Support gun control laws.
If you are unsure about who to call or for more information, talk with your doctor.
Family Focus is a series of positive discipline parenting tips and information sheets developed by specialists at Children's Hospitals and Clinics, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. For a complete list of topics, visit our Web page: http://www.childrensmn.org/.../parenting-resources/parenting-tips.