Family Services & Resources
WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. WIC's official name is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. It is a public health program designed to improve the health of the families who participate. Nutrition education and counseling, referrals, and healthy foods are the key components of the WIC Program. Counseling and education help participants learn about healthy eating and make behavior changes that can have a positive impact on their health for the rest of their lives.
In addition, WIC focuses on these specific areas to improve the health of WIC participants:
• Reducing complications during pregnancy.
• Increasing the number of breastfeeding mothers.
• Reducing iron-deficiency anemia.
• Decreasing the number of low birth weight and premature infants.
• Improving growth and development of young children.