Consultation to physicians, families, and other members of the health care team.
Assist in clarifying an ethical dilemma, including:
- complex and end-of-life decisions about foregoing treatment and allowing natural death
- use of invasive technology when the child will be permanently dependent
- disagreement within a family about the right actions
- rights and responsibilities of parents
- disagreement between the physician, others on the health care team, and family about the right actions
- balance of harms and benefits for high-risk procedures
- adolescent anatomy in decision making
- balancing confidentiality and the best interest of the child
Members of the ethics committee include broad community and hospital representation.