Family Resource Center
The Family Resource Center provides a quiet, comfortable, soothing environment where patient families can find up-to-date health information, connect with community resources, learn about child safety and development, or simply escape the stress that comes with being in the hospital.
In the video to the left, Kendall Munson, Family Resource Center coordinator, shares what services are available to families at the Family Resource Centers at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota.
Free Services and Amenities
The resource centers are staffed with supportive, caring professionals who are available to assist families with the following free services and amenities:
- Consumer Health Library Services, including reference assistance and customized information packages for consumer health, parenting, and community resource questions; search library catalog
- Links to high quality health and parenting information on the Internet
- Children's Library Services and bookwagon rounds to inpatient floors; search library catalog
- Computers for Internet access and other business applications
- CaringBridge™, an Internet service that helps parents create a personalized, secure Web page to stay in touch with friends and relatives through an online journal, photo album, and guestbook.
- Photocopier, fax machine, and scanner
- Information about local hotels that offer discounted medical rates, area restaurants, parks, bus lines, and recreational activities for children and families
- Leisure activities including magazines, novels, puzzle books, cross-stitch kits, and knitting supplies
- Complimentary beverages and breakfast snacks
- Personal hygiene kits for emergency admissions
- Financial counseling and help with billing concerns and financial assistance applications
- A Resource Guide For Families From Families. Members of the Family Advisory Council prepared this guide to share important information and resources members have found to be helpful.
Please note: Information and resources provided by the Family Resource Center are intended for reference purposes only and should not be interpreted as medical advice or instruction. Please discuss specific concerns or questions with your health care provider(s).