Children's Hematology/Oncology Program
The hematology/oncology program at Children's is the largest in the upper Midwest with treatment outcomes that consistently rank Children's as one of the top 10 programs in the U.S.
In our nationally unique model, your child's or teen's care is spearheaded and coordinated by a board-certified hematologist/oncologist, who leads a highly experienced team of multidisciplinary professionals. We consider you to be part of the care team, because you know your child or teen best.
Children's has designated its hematology/oncology program as a "cornerstone program." These are major Children's programs that meet rigorous criteria for excellence, including outstanding use of evidence-based practices, clinical research, and advanced technologies. This means you'll find:
- Treatment results among the best in the U.S. Survival rates and other treatment results in the Children's program are consistently among the top ten of U.S. pediatric hematology/oncology programs.
- Access to the newest and most promising treatments. The vast majority of hematology/oncology patients are enrolled in clinical trials and also benefit from Children's rapid deployment of new information shared by researchers in cooperatives like the Children's Oncology Group. If treatments available at other hospitals are the best option for your child, we'll help you get where you need to go.
- An emphasis on symptom management and pain prevention. Through a nationally renowned pain management team, a complementary therapies program, home care, and other services, we seek to minimize treatment complications, reduce side effects, and prevent pain before it begins.
- Unparalleled family support. Family support is the goal of every Children's team member, from physicians who help coordinate care, to nurses who can train patients in nausea control techniques, to child life specialists who help children prepare for surgeries, to cultural consultants to help make the care environment as accessible and welcoming as possible.
- An environment of teamwork and excellence. In 2007 and 2008, Children's ranked among America's Best Children's Hospitals in U.S. News & World Report. Children's also has been awarded "Magnet" designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, putting it in the top 4 percent of hospitals in the U.S. in nursing excellence.
Hematology/Oncology Program Videos