Programs and Services: A-D
Help your child or teen get needed support when returning to school after a concussion. Talk with your child's teachers, school nurse, coach, speech-language pathologist or counselor about your child's concussion and symptoms.
Your child may feel frustrated, sad and even angry because he or she cannot return to recreation and sports right away or cannot keep up with school work. Your child may also feel isolated from peers and social networks. Talk often with your child about these issues and offer your support and encouragement.
As your child's symptoms decrease, the extra help or support can be removed gradually. Children and teens who return to school after a concussion may need to:
- Take rest breaks as needed
- Spend fewer hours at school
- Be given more time to take tests or complete assignments
- Receive help with schoolwork
- Reduce time spent reading, writing or on the computer