Genetics team members at Children’s have been nationally recognized for innovative testing methods that help address the factors known to be associated with autism spectrum disorders and help families understand their risk of autism in future children.
At Children’s, a multiple-step process of evaluation is used:
- A careful history and physical is performed on your child.
- Your child is evaluated for medical conditions or syndromes that include autistic features.
- Your child is tested for chromosomal abnormalities, which happen more frequently in some children with autism. As indicated, genetic testing is provided.
- If necessary, tests are performed to identify whether neural problems are factors in your child’s autism.
The results of this evaluation may help clarify whether future children in your family are at risk for autism.
- If you are a family member and want to make an appointment, call Children’s genetics clinic at (612) 813-7240. Clinic hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- If you are a health professional looking for a consultation or referral information, please call Children's genetics clinic at (612) 813-7240 or Children’s Physician Access at 1-866-755-2121 (toll-free). Consultation is available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.