Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Children’s – Minneapolis
Children’s - St. Paul
Children's Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is the place where children receive the highest level of medical care for critical, life-threatening illnesses. The PICU is equipped and staffed to provide a full spectrum of pediatric critical care. They are available 24/7 for consultation and assessment for emergency and continuing care of critically-ill infants, children, and adolescents to age 18.
Children's has the largest PICU in the upper Midwest with unmatched 24-hour in-house coverage by pediatric intensivists and RNs who have received specialized training in critical care. The multi-disciplinary team which includes surgeons, neurologists, cardiologists, infection disease specialists, anesthesiologists, child life specialists, social workers, rehabilitative services, chaplains and staff from our pain and palliative care/integrative medicine program. On our Minneapolis campus we also offer ECMO services for patients with severe respiratory and/or cardiac insufficiency.
Featuring all private patient rooms with state-of-the-art technology, our new PICUs – at both Minneapolis and St. Paul hospitals – provide the best experience for patients and their families. We're committed to supporting patients and their family from providing amenities in the room so families can stay with their child, to including them as a valued member of the care team. There is ongoing parent education with comprehensive discharge teaching and planning. In addition, we have Parent-to-Parent volunteers, parents who have "been there," to offer nonmedical support to families currently in the PICU.
Children's new PICUs
The Pediatric Intensive Care Units serves some of Children's most critically ill patients and have been generously funded by local foundations. The Children's Hospital Association Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in St. Paul opened Summer 2011 and features 12 private patient rooms. The Poland Family Foundation Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in Minneapolis has30 private patient rooms and opened Fall 2010.
- Private patient rooms provide patients and families a quiet, personal environment
- Pull-out sofas, in-room refrigerators, closet, private bath make it easier for families to stay with their child
- Designed with input from members of Children's Youth and Family Advisory Councils and our staff
- Flat-panel TVs with video games provide entertainment and relaxation
- Large family waiting room
- Lounge within the unit with laundry, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker
- In Minneapolis, families also have access to the in-hospital Ronald McDonald House
Integrated medical technology
- Medical equipment and technology integrated into the patient's room optimizes care delivery
- Technology that gives members of the care team ongoing information about patient changes
- Continuous EEG recording
- PACS viewing for radiology scans
- Room designed with flexible space to adapt to the changing needs of the patientSupplies at bedside, carts
- Improved infection control achieved by incorporating the latest advances in infection control technology and procedures