The general surgery team at Children's provides next-generation care to newborns, infants, children, and adolescents from throughout the upper Midwest. Our goal is to provide your child with the best possible surgery experience.
General surgery, despite its name, is a surgical specialty. General surgeons undergo a five-year residency, when they are trained in diagnostic and surgical techniques for a broad spectrum of surgical conditions. Surgeons at Children's also undergo up to two years of subspecialty training in pediatric surgery.
Children's pediatric general surgery team provides a range of surgical care, from newborn, tumor, gastrointestinal, and thoracic surgeries, to surgeries that facilitate further care (such as cannulation to initiate ECMO and gastrostomy to implant a tube in the stomach), to surgeries that are familiar to many parents (such as hernia repairs and appendectomies.)
- Your child's surgery is performed by a team of professionals who specialize in the unique needs of children.
- Your child's pain is managed by an interdisciplinary pain management team.
- Your child's care includes the latest in surgical techniques, technology, and training.
- Your child's care providers consider you to be part of your child's care team, because you know your child best.
General surgery is performed at the following Children's locations
- If you are a family member looking for a Children's specialist in general surgery, please visit Find a Doctor.
- If you are a health professional looking for a consultation or referral information, please call Children's Physician Referral at 1-866-755-2121 (toll-free).