Children's of Minnesota provides multidisciplinary, subspecialty surgery for newborns from premature infants to infants up to one month old. Children's treats more high-risk infants than any other health care organization in the Upper Midwest, with treatment results among the best in the nation.
Advancements in the field of newborn care have made it possible to diagnose more conditions during pregnancy and treat them during or soon after birth. Some of the conditions that are commonly treated in newborns by Children's surgery teams are:
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Esophageal atresia
- Gastroschisis (PDF)
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Imperforate anus (PDF)
- Intestinal atresia
- Necrotizing enterocolitis (PDF); Necrotizing enterocolitis outcomes/quality care
Newborn surgery is performed at the following Children's locations
- Children's – Minneapolis (mothers deliver at Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, which is attached to Children's)
- Children's – St. Paul (mothers deliver at United Hospital, which is attached to Children's)
- If you are a family member looking for more information, visit the Web page specific to the type of surgery your child needs.
- If you are a health professional looking for a consultation or referral information, please call Children's Physician Referral at 1-866-755-2121 (toll-free).