Vascular Anomalies Surgery (Abnormalities Involving Blood Vessels)
Meet the Staff
Physicians and Advanced Practice Nurses
Stefan J. Friedrichsdorf, MD, Medical Director, Pain, Palliative and Integrative Medicine
Kathleen Farah, MD, Staff Physician
Maura Fitzgerald RN, MS, MA, CNS, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Anna Hoffman, RN, CNS, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Christine Gibbon, PhD, LP, Staff Psychologist
Kavita Desai, PhD, LP, Staff Psychologist
Message and Music Therapy
Barb Cant, RN, NCMT, CHTP, Massage Therapist
Karen Haeg, BA, NCMBT, Massage Therapist
Candace Linares, NCMT, Massage Therapist
Jill Maltrud, BS, NCMBT, Massage Therapist
Laura Beck, NCMT, Massage Therapist
Mark Burnett, MMus, Music Therapist
Laura Beck, Health Unit Coordinator
Alison McQuade, Health Unit Coordinator
Information included on Children’s Integrative Medicine Web site is for educational purposes only, and is made available to assist you in discussing your medical concern with your physician or qualified health care provider.
It does not imply any endorsement or recommendation by Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. Children’s Hospitals and Clinics makes no warranties, express or implied, about the value or utility for any purpose of the information or resources contained herein.
Please note that information and resources listed here may, by definition, be outside the scope of generally accepted biomedical standards of care. They are complementary, alternative, integrative, unconventional, non-traditional, or cultural in context.
For some of the treatments, there may be scientific evidence for therapeutic efficacy while in other instances, there is as yet limited or no research data. This information should not be used in any way to provide diagnoses or to prescribe any medical treatment.
As in the case of conventional medicine, indiscriminate use of these therapies without medical supervision may be harmful to your health.
Individuals viewing this material should in all cases review the benefits and risks of using specific complementary/alternative/integrative treatments with their own doctor or health care provider for the diagnosis and treatment of medical and/or psychological conditions.
Ways to Wellness
Ways to Wellness
One page educational handouts about integrative medicine written specifically for kids and adolescents (all open as a PDF):
- National Cancer Institute
- MD Anderson Cancer Center This website is sponsored by the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. It is a clearinghouse for cancer patients on dietary supplements and complementary and alternative medicine. (Patient information sheets available)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Approximately 340 monographs on dietary supplements are available on the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center website. (Patient information sheets available)
- Healthy Child Healthy World
- Women's Health and the Environment Initiative
- Institute for Children's Environmental Health
- The National Environmental Education & Training Foundation
- The Deirdre Imus Environmental Center for Pediatric Oncology
Non-profit sites with advertising or products for sale section:
- American Board of Holistic Medicine
- http://www.holisticboard.org This site contains information about finding a physician who has training in holistic medicine with a listing for each state.
- Integrative Pediatrics Council
- http://www.Integrativepeds.org This site contains resources for consumers and health care professionals on the use of complementary/alternative medicine with children.
- MedlinePlus - Alternative Medicine
- http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/alternativemedicine.html (Free) Look under the link for dietary supplements to find Natural Standard abridged monographs.
- The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)
- http://nccam.nih.gov/camonpubmed/ The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) is the Federal Government's lead agency for scientific research on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Over the last year, NCCAM has posted more pediatric information helpful for the practitioner (patient information sheets available)
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) Very helpful site; under Health Information you will find excellent dietary supplement fact sheets. (Free) (patient information sheets available)
- FDA Dietary Supplements Page
- American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
Mind Body Medicine
- Center for Mind-Body Medicine
- Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare, and Society
- Benson-Henry Institute for Mind-Body Medicine
- Inner Kids Foundation
- Yoga Kids
- International Association of Yoga Therapist (look for their excellent bibliography on Children and Yoga)
Integrative Treatment Options
Integrative Treatment Options
Children's of Minnesota is a national leader in offering integrative treatment options. We have a variety of assessment, treatment, and consultative services for families and children, including holistic assessment by either a single provider or an interdisciplinary team, personalized information/resource consultation and individual or multimodality treatment approaches, such as:
- acupuncture and acupressure (PDF)
- aromatherapy (PDF)
- Clinical Hypnosis
- healing touch and Reiki
- herbals and botanicals
- integrative cancer care services
- massage therapy (PDF)
- mind-body skills groups
- relaxation and mental imagery
- self-regulation skills training