Vascular Anomalies Surgery (Abnormalities Involving Blood Vessels)
The chaplains at Children's Hospitals and Clinics are here to support the special spiritual needs of patients and families. The faith and spiritual practices of each family can be a source of hope, healing, and comfort during a hospital stay. Chaplains, who specialize in pediatric hospital ministry, visit persons from all faith traditions. They also can facilitate connections with home clergy and faith community or with religious resources locally that match an individual's own faith and spiritual practice.
Children's – Minneapolis
Children's-- St. Paul
- Pastoral visits
- Emotional and spiritual support in times of illness, crisis, or loss
- Worship services
- Consultation with staff or families on issues of religious or ethical significance
- Religious services and rituals (Baptism, Naming Ceremonies, blessing services)
- Written religious resources (sacred texts and prayers)
- Support at times of death and bereavement
- Faith education and formation
- Pastoral support during conferences and decision making
- Trained hospital volunteers are available from "The Twin Cities Jewish Healing Program" and the "Muslims meeting Muslims" to visit with patients and families.
- Electric candles, electric Sabbath candles, electric incense burners, rosaries, prayer rugs, Muslim prayer beads, and anointing oil are available for use in the hospital.
The interfaith chapel is located on the first floor of the Minneapolis campus. At Children's in St. Paul, the chapel is located in the United Hospital on the 4th floor.
Scheduled worship services
- Private services can always be arranged with a Chaplain and special services occur throughout the year. Families are also welcome to attend the regularly scheduled worship services that are held at hospitals adjacent to each campus.
- In Minneapolis, the Ewe Chapel is located on the first floor of Abbott Northwestern Hospital:
Friday, 1:00 p.m. – Muslim prayer service
Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – Ecumenical prayer service
Sunday, 11:30 a.m. – Roman Catholic Mass
- In St. Paul, the chapel is located on the 4th floor of United Hospital:
Tuesday, 11:30 a.m. – Roman Catholic Communion service
Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – Roman Catholic Mass
Friday, 12:30 – Ecumenical prayer service
Sunday, 4:00 p.m. – Roman Catholic Mass
How to contact a chaplain
Chaplains routinely visit in all patient care areas and can be contacted directly or through hospital staff. Chaplains are in the hospital Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. On-call Chaplains are available at other times.
To reach us directly or to leave a message to be returned during regular business hours, call:
Minneapolis Campus: 612-813-6253
St. Paul Campus: 651-220-6369
On-call Chaplains are available evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. To contact an on-call Chaplain, simply call the hospital operator and request the on-call Chaplain.
For hospital staff:
Further information can be found in these policies:
Chaplaincy Services (RI 114.00)
Religious and Cultural Practices (RI 136.00)