By: Dr. Gigi Chawla, chief of general pediatrics at Children’s Minnesota
The beginning of a new year provides us all with an opportunity for a fresh start. People everywhere make plans to write that new chapter by vowing to change their diet, exercise, spending or other personal habits. But what about New Year’s resolutions for kids? Here are some ideas:
Top 10 New Year’s resolutions for kids
1. Go out of your way to do one act of kindness every day.
2. Read every night before bed.
3. Drink one more glass of water each day and avoid sugary drinks.
4. Get an extra 30 minutes of sleep each night.
5. Plant a garden and enjoy fresh produce with lunch or dinner.
6. Write and send a letter in the mail each month to a family member or friend.
7. As a family, learn about a different culture each month and find a way to celebrate or support it.
8. Expand your friendship circle by inviting a new friend on a play date each month, as long as COVID-19 health and safety precautions are being followed.
9. Name two things you are thankful for every night at dinner or before bed.
10. Start a family giving jar. Put extra change in throughout the year and donate at the end of the year.