Children’s Minnesota appreciates the amazing contributions nurses make every day to ensure patients and their families are receiving the best of care. During Nurses Week, we’re joining the American Nurses Association in recognizing the tremendous impact of nurses.
In their honor, please take a few minutes to learn some interesting facts about the profession!
- Americans have ranked nursing as one of the most ethical and honest professions since 2001 (Gallup).
- Registered nurses make up the largest percentage of healthcare employees (Becker’s Hospital Review).
- There are more than 4 million RNs in the United States (American Nurses Association).
- Men are increasingly joining the profession, now accounting for nearly 10 percent of nurses nationwide (OR Today).
- Minnesota is ranked the third best state for nursing based on opportunity, competition and workplace environment (Becker’s Hospital Review).
- Nursing is one of the fastest growing professions, and is expected to grow 15 percent by 2026 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- More than 800,000 RN positions are expected to remain open in the United States by 2020 (Aetna).
- Nearly 90 percent of all nurses are happy they became nurses (Becker’s Hospital Review).
- U.S. News and World Report ranks RN as the 19th best job in the country (U.S. News and World Report).
- More than 25 years ago, the American Nurses Association declared May 6-12 as national Nurses Week in an effort to elevate nursing as a profession (American Nurses Association).
Take the time to thank a nursing colleague today, or make a donation in honor of a nurse in your life.