March 12 Living with Grief: Youth program
A safe space for grieving children and teens to connect and receive support
Groups are held the 2nd Thursday of each month • 6–7:30 p.m.
Children’s Minnesota, St. Paul campus
Thursday, March 12 topic: Changes in Relationships
The death of loved one is both heartbreaking and life-changing, and many young people experience a significant loss during their childhood or teen years. Though their grief reactions may vary, we know children feel these losses deeply. As with adults, children and teens benefit from receiving support through the grief journey. In the Living with Grief Youth program, children and teens will have the opportunity to connect with other grieving kids and receive grief education and support, all while having fun.
This program serves children/teens that are grieving the death of a loved one—including those who have experienced the death of a sibling, a parent, a grandparent, a friend, or any special person.
Each session will focus on a different grief topic. Children will explore this topic through age-appropriate conversation, art, music, movement and creative interactions.
The program is free of charge and open to all grieving children/teens in the greater community — families do not have to be cared for in the Children’s Minnesota system to participate.
Open to children kindergarten through senior year in high school. Free childcare is also available to children ages 18 months through preschool age.
• School-aged children and teens will participate in grief programming, while toddlers and young children do age appropriate play.
• Families who have babies under the age of 18 months will need to find private childcare.
Parking will be validated
Options for accompanying adults:
While children/teens attend their program, accompanying adults are invited
to attend one of the following:
- For bereaved parents who are grieving the death of a child, or grieving grandparents/aunts/uncles who have had a grandchild/niece/nephew die, the Living with Grief Parent and Grandparent/Aunt/Uncle programs are held concurrently.
- Other accompanying adults are invited to participate in a separate adult group in which you will receive support for the loss in your life, as well as education about supporting your grieving child.
- If you choose not to participate in a group, you will be directed to a public seating area in the hospital. Accompanying adults must stay on campus during the Youth Program.
Event Date and Time
March 12, 2020, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Children’s Minnesota St. Paul campus
347 North Smith Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55102