When and how to refer to Children’s Minnesota
If you suspect a patient may have a malignancy, please call us, we will help guide the initial workup to determine if a referral to us should occur and how urgently an appointment should be scheduled.
We are also available for second opinions for any cancer diagnosis.
Call Children’s Physician Access
What to expect when working with Children’s Cancer team
- Fast call backs to clinicians and families
- Coordinated appointments with other services (lab/radiology/nutrition/Physical therapy and other specialists)
- Physician calls are connected right away with an Oncology physician or APRN
- Regular phone updates are provided during diagnosis as well as throughout treatment and recovery
- Timely consultation notes are sent following outpatient visits
- Same-day outpatient access for urgent appointments
- Same-day in-hospital consultation are available at both of children’s hospital locations
- Satellite clinic locations in St Cloud, MN and Hudson, WI
Adolescent & Young Adult Cancer care
Children’s Minnesota’s Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer program is specifically designed to meet the needs of cancer patients between the ages of 15 to 30.
Our multidisciplinary team of experts provides cancer treatment and management of specific developmental issues including fertility, education, career development, employment, and family planning.
Types of Cancer in AYA population best treated at pediatric center
Young adults develop different types of cancer than older adults. Retrospective analyses have shown that AYA patients with certain pediatric-type cancers such as ALL, rhabdomyosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma have superior outcomes when treated with pediatric protocols.
We have more than 100 staff members who work specifically with the cancer and blood disorders program, plus we work with a variety of specialists at Children’s. These professionals are all trained to care for adolescents and young adults with cancer.
- Genetics and genomic medicine
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Registered dietitians and nutritionists
Through our partner, Allina Health at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, young adults have access to professionals at:
We also have partners in fertility preservation at The Center for Reproductive Medicine and the Fertility Preservation Program at Mayo Clinic Children’s Center.