Our concussion team can’t be beat
The concussion team at Children’s Minnesota specializes in diagnosing and treating concussions. Our team is made up of a diverse group of specialists in the field of neuroscience who all have one thing in common — vast experience treating kids with concussions.
These dedicated professionals are part of our concussion team:
- Pediatric neurosurgeons are physicians with advanced training in caring for kids’ brains. At the Concussion Clinic, we have two pediatric neurosurgeons to see children who have severe concussions or head trauma.
- Pediatric neuropsychologists are psychologists who specialize in the study and assessment of brain function. Our neuropsychologists are available to see children who need a neuropsychology exam.
- Pediatric psychologists are specialists in the developmental and behavioral health of children and adolescents. Our psychologists can help children and parents cope with the stress of having a concussion.
- Pediatric clinical nurse practitioners are nurses with advanced training in caring for pediatric patients. Our nurse practitioners also have additional training in neurosurgery, neurology and understand concussion care.
- Physician assistant (PA) are advanced health care providers trained in obtaining patient histories and performing exams in order to determine diagnoses and treatment plans. They have additional training in pediatrics, neurosurgery, neurology and head injury management.
- Physical therapists are health care professionals who specialize in helping patients increase mobility and reduce pain. We have physical therapists who are vestibular specialists with training in assessing and treating concussions in children.
- Occupational therapists are health care professionals who help patients with the skills of daily living, such as doing homework or getting dressed. Our Concussion Clinic has occupational therapists experienced in working with kids who have concussions.
- Pediatric nurse practitioners are nurses with advanced training in collecting patient histories and performing exams in order to determine diagnoses and provide treatment plans for children of all ages. They also have additional training in neurosurgery, neurology and head injury management.
Our concussion team works closely with professionals from many other fields, including neurology, optometry and emergency medicine. At Children’s, you’ll have access to a vast network of professionals whose sole focus is healing kids and making life easier for their families.
If you’re visiting the Children’s Concussion Clinic, keep an eye out for these key players: