Resources for parents, families, friends and grandparents
At the Minnesota SID Center, we offer information and support you and your family, no matter the situation. Below are resources for you to share with your family and friends:
- Safe sleep – Keeping baby safe during sleep is top priority for all family members and friends charged with the important responsibility of caring for your baby’s well-being.
- Crib Safety Center – Current information on safety approved bassinets, play yards, crib, recalls and the 2011 ban on drop sided cribs from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Grief support – Links and resources dedicated to supporting you and your loved ones throughout the grieving process.
SID Center newsletters
- Helping Baby Sleep on His Back Safe sleep tips to get baby “back to sleep”
- Safe sleep for your baby Ten ways to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome
Spanish | African American outreach | American Indian outreach
- What does a safe sleep environment look like? | Spanish
- Safe sleep for your grandbaby Important information on sleep position for babies and reducing the risk of SIDS. | Spanish
- Crib safety tips For infants under 12 months of age, follow these practices to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome and prevent suffocation.
- Tummy Time Babies should be on their backs for sleep, but should spend time on their tummies when awake.
- Honor the past, learn for the future: American Indian Outreach Reduce the risk of SIDS and other sleep-related causes of infant death.
- Baby safety basics A guide to keeping baby safe during the first year of life.
- To request a free copy of a brochure, call the Minnesota SID Center at 1-800-732-3812 or complete a brochure order form.
Videos about safe sleep environments
- Safe Sleep: What Every Parent Needs to Know Michigan Department of Human Services
- Safe Sleep Practices: Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Safe Sleep for Your Baby Right From the Start Cribs for Kids — SIDS of Pennsylvania
- Safe Sleep Saves Lives First Candle
- Safe Sleep Hawaii Hawaii Department of Health
- ABCs of Safe Sleep Kansas Department of Health, Safe Kids Kansas
- Safe Sleep for Your Baby National Institutes of Health
National resources for sudden unexpected infant and child death
These websites contain information about grief support, research and advocacy activities.
- CJ Foundation for SIDS
- Compassionate Friends
- Cribs for Kids
- The Dougy Center for Grieving Children and Families
- Fernside Online
- First Candle
- M.I.S.S. – Mothers in Sympathy and Support
- Sudden Unexplained Death in Children (SUDC) Program
Authoritative sources for baby and child information
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Center for Disease Control – Sudden Unexpected Infant Death
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- CPSC Crib Safety Center
- National Institutes of Health Safe Sleep Campaign
- June 28, 2016: IKEA recalls MALM and other models of chests and dressers due to tip-over hazard
- Apr. 14, 2016: Fisher-Price recalls infant cradle swings due to fall hazard
- Jan. 21, 2016: CPSC, NHTSA and Britax announce recall of infant car seats due to fall hazard
- Jan. 21, 2016: Britax Recalls strollers and replacement top seats due to choking hazard
- Sept. 8, 2015: IKEA recalls crib mattresses due to violation of federal flammability standard
- July 15, 2015: Bexco recalls DaVinci brand cribs due to entrapment, fall and lacerations hazards
- Jan. 13, 2015: IKEA recalls crib mattresses due to risk of entrapment
- Apr. 15, 2014: New children’s safety standard: Soft infant and toddler carriers
- Nov. 21, 2013: Angelcare recalls 600,000 baby monitors due to 2 strangulation deaths
- Aug. 21, 2013: HALO SleepSacks wearable blankets recalled due to choking hazard; Sold exclusively at Babies R Us
- AAP expands guidelines for infant sleep safety and SIDS Risk Reduction
- Listing of all CPSC recalls