With COVID-19, many parents are hesitant to see the doctor due to safety concerns. However, at Children’s Minnesota—we are taking every precaution to keep your family safe when you visit us.
Appointments for vaccinations and well-child checks are important to stay up-to-date on, but so are gynecology appointments for your daughter. COVID-19 is affecting a lot of areas of the world right now, but making sure all babies, girls and women have the answers and help related to their bodies is at the utmost importance to Children’s Minnesota.
Many organizations—including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) have all classified reproductive and sexual health as essential health care—even during a pandemic.
What does gynecology have to do with COVID-19?
We have seen a decrease in gynecology appointments since COVID-19 began spreading throughout our community. This is concerning because we know that girls and women still have questions about contraception, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), menstrual cycle issues and any other concerns related to their bodies. Sexual health is essential health.
During this time of COVID-19, we’re continuing to support girls and their families with their unique gynecological needs, including, but not limited to:
- Abnormal development of the reproductive system (congenital anomalies of the uterus or vagina).
- Contraception, including pills, patches, rings, injections, implants, IUDs.
- Medical uses of hormonal contraceptives (acne, menstrual migraine, catamenial seizures).
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Menstrual problems, including painful periods, heavy periods, frequent or irregular periods.
- Pelvic pain.
- Endometriosis, tissue that grows outside of the uterus.
- Ovarian cysts, fluid-filled sacs in or on the ovaries.
- Delayed puberty or periods.
Children’s Minnesota gynecology program
At the Children’s Minnesota gynecology program, home of the only two pediatric and adolescent gynecologists in Minnesota, we treat babies, adolescents and teens every day who have minor, moderate or severe gynecological issues. We offer the latest treatments and technologies available in the United States to resolve symptoms while maintaining a child’s reproductive health.
Additionally, we have greatly expanded our telehealth availability so that appropriately selected patients may have their needs met while staying at home.