Whatever the emergency, we treat it with urgency.
At Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, we have more than 90,000 visits to our emergency rooms each year. In fact, we care for more pediatric emergency and trauma patients than any other healthcare system in our region.
At our hospitals, we have the specialists, technology and facilities to provide the best care and outcomes for emergency and trauma patients. Plus, our emergency departments are backed by our comprehensive pediatric system of hospitals and clinics — ensuring when children leave our emergency departments, they’ll be able to continue the healing and rehabilitation process.
We have two emergency departments and trauma centers designed especially for infants, children and young adults:
- Minneapolis: The UnitedHealthcare® Pediatric Emergency Department and Level I Trauma Center
- St. Paul: Peter J. King Pediatric Emergency Department and Level IV Trauma Center
Here are just a few reasons to choose Children’s for any emergency or trauma care needs:
- We have the area’s only Level I pediatric trauma center in a hospital dedicated only to kids. Each year, more children are killed and disabled by injuries than all other diseases combined. And, research shows that pediatric trauma patients have better outcomes when treated at a children’s hospital. Being designated as a Level I pediatric trauma center means that Children’s – Minneapolis is recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Minnesota Department of Health as offering the highest level of care for critically injured children. Our trauma team, including pediatric trauma surgeons, treats nearly 40 percent of the pediatric trauma cases in the Twin Cities.
- Our team is the largest and most experienced in treating childhood injuries and acute illness in the region. Children’s emergency departments offer 24-hour access to more than 70 board-eligible or board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. In addition, we have more than 100 nurses, technicians and other medical staff all specially trained in pediatrics and dedicated to providing the highest quality of care in our child-focused, emergency environment.
- Our facilities were built for kids and their families. Children’s up-to-date care models and the efficient layout of the emergency departments help drive some of the shortest wait times in the country. Our large, comfortable waiting rooms and private rooms for patients and families help to ease stress. Plus, enclosed ambulance bays and resuscitation rooms support the highest level of trauma care. And our patients benefit from all of the comprehensive pediatric-dedicated capabilities of our hospitals, from intensive care units to medical/surgical services and more.
- We are committed to “Making safe simple.” We love treating kids here at Children’s, but we’d rather see them safe at home. That’s why we work throughout the community to spread the word about how to prevent injuries with our Making Safe Simple educational program: At Home, At Play, and On the Way.