Services you can count on
Here are a few of the services our emergency department is known for:
- Round-the-clock care by pediatric emergency medicine physicians and nurses to provide evaluation, stabilization, treatment and care.
- Coordination with regional pediatric and neonatal transport teams with access to emergency ambulance, critical care rigs, helicopter and airplane services, including a helipad in Minneapolis.
- Child-friendly suture program for cuts and wounds.
- Pediatric sedation and pain management.
- Low-dose radiation protocols for tests such as CT scans.
- 24-hour access to top pediatric specialists in fields like orthopedics, neurology, plastic surgery and ophthalmology.
- Short stay area for short-term assessment, observation or stabilization.
- Pediatric and young adult extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for severe lung injury.
- Child abuse and neglect consultation services with Midwest Children’s Resource Center.
Walk-in Ready Care
For non-emergency illness and injuries, we offer walk-in Ready Care–open on evenings and weekends at some of our primary care clinics. You don’t need to call for an appointment, just come on in. Consider using walk-in Ready Care if your child has a symptom that started recently and is of a non-severe nature, including common cough or cold, fever (child older than 3 months), vomiting or diarrhea, rash, minor injury, ear pain or sore throat.
When to make an appointment instead
If your child needs a well child exam, has ongoing symptoms, or special health care needs, please make an appointment at one of our 12 primary care clinics so we can schedule an appropriate amount of time to address those needs.