Children’s Minnesota Cardiovascular Program
Children’s Minnesota’s cardiovascular department provides comprehensive pediatric cardiovascular services – from routine care to advanced cardiac surgeries, from before birth and into adulthood. Our program treats the most pediatric cardiology patients in Minnesota and our outcomes are some of the best in the country. Our cardiovascular program is the only one in the region that is part of a health system dedicated exclusively to children.
All cardiac care under in one place
The Edward J. Phillips Cardiovascular Care Center at Children’s Minnesota – Minneapolis hospital is one of a kind – all cardiac services for kids are conveniently located on the same floor in a single building. Our pediatric cardiac intensivists provide 24/7 on-site care. Private patient rooms with amenities like private bathrooms allow families their own space and the privacy to ask questions from their care team.
You will also find the specialists at Children’s Heart Clinic outpatient clinics around the region.
The numbers of our program
Children’s Minnesota treats far more pediatric cardiovascular patients – from fetal detection and treatment through young-adult care – than any other program in the region. Treating more patients is associated with higher-quality care and better outcomes, especially in complex cases.
Since its inception in 1977, we have performed more than 12,000+ heart surgeries.
- 450+ heart surgeries
- 500+ patients treated by cath lab
- 11,000+ EKGs performed or interpreted
- 12,000+ echoes performed or interpreted
- 1500+ fetal hearts scanned for heart abnormalities
Services that set us apart
- An award-winning ECMO program.
- First lab in the Upper Midwest specifically for pediatric cardiac catheterization.
- First and only pediatric hospital in the United States to use a new catheterization system designed to minimize radiation exposure.
- First lab in the Upper Midwest that is exclusively for pediatric electrophysiology studies – a procedure to study electrical activity in the heart.
- First facility in Minnesota to be nationally accredited in pediatric transthoracic echocardiography.
- First surgeons in the Upper Midwest to perform a complex, three-part surgery to treat hypoplastic left heart syndrome – a birth defect in which the left side of the heart is underdeveloped.