Meet a cardiovascular team with heart
The cardiovascular team at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota is nationally renowned. We specialize in diagnosing and treating heart and blood vessel conditions that affect kids. The 200 professionals from Children’s Minnesota and the Children’s Heart Clinic, along with many collaborating partners, comprise our team and have a wealth of experience. It shows. Our outcomes are some of the best in the country.
The cardiovascular team is made up of several types of dedicated professionals:
- Pediatric cardiologists are pediatricians with advanced training in caring for kids’ heart and blood vessel diseases. The Children’s Heart Clinic has 10 board-certified pediatric cardiologists.
- Pediatric cardiovascular surgeons have completed a residency in general surgery, another residency in heart surgery and additional training in heart surgeries for children. Children’s has two board-certified pediatric cardiovascular surgeons.
- Pediatric cardiac intensivists are physicians who specialize in treating the heart problems of children in intensive care. Physicians and families have 24/7 access to on-site cardiac intensivists devoted to patient care.
- Pediatric advanced practitioners are physician assistants or advanced practice registered nurses. These professionals, key members of the team, are specially trained and licensed to examine, diagnose and treat cardiovascular patients.
- Pediatric intensive care nurses are registered nurses who specialize in treating critically ill patients. The intensive care nurses at Children’s have an average of more than 10 years’ experience. We have more than 100 pediatric nurses in our cardiovascular program.
The cardiovascular team works closely with professionals from many other fields, including pediatric anesthesiologists, respiratory therapists and child life specialists. At Children’s, you’ll have access to a vast network of professionals whose sole focus is healing kids and making life easier for their families.
Children’s cardiovascular center leadership team:
David Overman, MD
Chief of cardiovascular surgery
Francis X. Moga, MD
Associate chief of pediatric cardiovascular surgery
Anupam Kharbanda, MD
Chief of critical care
Charles Baker, MD
Medical director of the catheterization lab, Children’s Heart Clinic
David Dassenko, MD
Medical director of the pediatric cardiac intensive care unit
Kirsten Dummer, MD
Medical director of pediatric cardiology, Children’s Heart Clinic
B Kelly Gleason Han, MD
Medical director of advanced cardiac imaging, Children’s Heart Clinic
David Gremmels, MD
Medical director of the echocardiography program, Children’s Heart Clinic
Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota collaborates with a team of doctors, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and more to provide expert care to kids.
Meet our two newest additions to the Children’s Heart Clinic:
- Robroy MacIver, MD, Cardiovascular Surgeon
- Charles Shepard, MD, Pediatric Cardiologist
We also partner with a team of intensivists, including:
Meet all the members of our cardiovascular team: