Meet a cardiovascular team with heart
The cardiovascular team at Children’s Minnesota is nationally renowned. We specialize in diagnosing and treating heart and blood vessel conditions that affect kids. The 200 professionals from Children’s Minnesota and the Children’s Heart Clinic, along with many collaborating partners, comprise our team and have a wealth of experience. It shows. Our outcomes are some of the best in the country.
The cardiovascular team is made up of several types of dedicated professionals:
- Pediatric cardiologists are pediatricians with advanced training in caring for kids’ heart and blood vessel diseases. The Children’s Heart Clinic has 10 board-certified pediatric cardiologists.
- Pediatric cardiovascular surgeons have completed a residency in general surgery, another residency in heart surgery and additional training in heart surgeries for children. Children’s has three board-certified pediatric cardiovascular surgeons.
- Pediatric cardiac intensivists are physicians who specialize in treating the heart problems of children in intensive care. Physicians and families have 24/7 access to on-site cardiac intensivists devoted to patient care.
- Pediatric advanced practitioners are physician assistants or advanced practice registered nurses. These professionals, key members of the team, are specially trained and licensed to examine, diagnose and treat cardiovascular patients.
- Pediatric intensive care nurses are registered nurses who specialize in treating critically ill patients. The intensive care nurses at Children’s have an average of more than 10 years’ experience. We have more than 100 pediatric nurses in our cardiovascular program.
The cardiovascular team works closely with professionals from many other fields, including pediatric anesthesiologists, respiratory therapists and child life specialists. At Children’s, you’ll have access to a vast network of professionals whose sole focus is healing kids and making life easier for their families.