We treat everything
The cardiovascular program at Children’s Minnesota offers a full range of services. We diagnose and treat the full range of heart and blood vessel conditions in babies, children and teens. Our patients also include adults who need long-term care for heart defects they’ve had since birth. We do everything from imaging tests to pioneering surgeries. But one thing is always the same: our commitment to excellence.
Complete care for young hearts
About 1 in every 100 babies is born with a heart defect. Some are critically ill at birth. Others are diagnosed later during routine doctor visits. These heart defects can take numerous forms. At Children’s, we’re experts in diagnosing and treating all of them, including:
- Atrioventricular septal defect—A combination of two problems: holes between chambers of the heart and valves that don’t work properly
- Coarctation of the aorta—Narrowing of part of the large blood vessel that carries oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the body
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome—A condition in which several structures on the left side of the heart are underdeveloped, too small or missing
- Single ventricle defect—A condition in which only one of the heart’s two lower chambers is working properly
- Tetralogy of fallot—Four defects that, taken together, allow oxygen-poor blood to be pumped out to the body
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage (TAPVR)—A condition in which major blood vessels aren’t properly connected to the upper chambers of the heart
- Transposition of the great arteries—Reversal in the position of the two main arteries carrying blood out of the heart
- Ventricular septal defect—A hole between the two lower chambers of the heart
- Arrhythmia—Abnormal heartbeats
- Cardiomyopathy—Disease of the heart muscle
- Congestive heart failure—Weakening of the heart’s pumping ability
- Lipid abnormalities—High LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, low HDL (“good”) cholesterol or high triglycerides (another type of fat in the blood)
- Myocarditis—Inflammation of the heart muscle
- Newborn Screening follow-up services due to abnormal screen
Advantages that set us apart
We know your child deserves the very best cardiovascular care. So that’s what we provide. Here’s just a sampling of what makes Children’s cardiovascular care so exceptional:
- First lab in the Upper Midwest specifically for pediatric cardiac catheterization. In this procedure, a tube is inserted into a blood vessel and threaded to the heart for diagnosis or treatment.
- First and only pediatric hospital in the United States to use a new catheterization system designed to minimize radiation exposure for patients.
- First lab in the Upper Midwest exclusively for pediatric electrophysiology studies—a procedure to study electrical activity inside the heart.
- First facility in Minnesota to be nationally accredited in pediatric transthoracic echocardiography. In this imaging test, sound waves are used to create moving pictures of the heart.
- First surgeons in the Upper Midwest to perform a complex, three-part surgery to treat hypoplastic left heart syndrome—a birth defect in which the left side of the heart is underdeveloped.
- Award-winning program for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). In this treatment, blood is pumped through a machine that increases the amount of oxygen it contains.
- Care for complex cardiac conditions takes the latest in evaluation and treatment options, which we have at our fingertips.
- Diagnostic and less invasive services: