Concussion Clinic - Evaluation and Treatment Overview
Children’s Minnesota concussion clinic provides a comprehensive medical evaluation and individualized treatment plan for children and young adults who have sustained mild traumatic brain injuries caused by sports, accidents or falls.
Evaluation and Treatment
- Expert medical evaluation within Children’s Minnesota Neuroscience program
- Ongoing medical evaluation and symptom management until symptoms subside
- Pediatric psychology services
- Physical and occupational therapy assessment
- Vestibular function
- Graded return to activity/play
- ImPACT TM computerized cognitive testing
- Further diagnostic testing, such as MRI scan or neuropsychological tests, and referral to subspecialists as needed (i.e., neurology, ENT, pain, integrative medicine)
- Return to school and regular activity/sports clearance. Coaches and officials are now legally required to remove young athletes from play or practice when they suspect an athlete has suffered a concussion or an athlete is exhibiting signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion. The athlete cannot return to play or practice until they obtain medical clearance from a qualified medical provider, trained and experienced in pediatric concussions.
Patients referred to the concussion clinic should call during clinic hours, Monday–Friday, to schedule the appointment. Please notify your primary care physician of your injury and subsequent referral to the concussion clinic.
St. Paul campus
Garden View Medical Building, 3rd floor
347 North Smith Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55102
Children’s Specialty Center, Lower level
2530 Chicago Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Maple Grove Clinic
7767 Elm Creek Boulevard, Suite 301
Maple Grove, MN 55369
This page is not specific to your child, but provides general information on the topic above. If you have any questions, please call your clinic. For more reading material about this and other health topics, please call or visit Children's Family Resource Center library, or visit www.childrensmn.org/educationmaterials.
© 2020 Children's Minnesota