Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), undrained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Food processor
- Large bowl
- Sheet pans
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Steam or boil sweet potatoes until barely tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel cooled potatoes. Shred them using a grater or food processor.
- Puree chickpeas, including liquid, until smooth.
- Combine shredded sweet potatoes and chickpeas in a large bowl.
- Add oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spray sheet pans with cooking spray.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture and place 1 inch apart on prepared sheet pans.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes, until starting to brown.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 190 calories
- 4g protein
- 5g fat
- 0.5g sat. fat
- 33g carbohydrate
- 5g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 210mg sodium
- 12g sugars
Serving size: 1/6 recipe
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com