5-Spice Chicken Salad Wrap
Note: If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife and the oven.
Prep time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
What you need:
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 1 large bone-in chicken breast, skin removed
- ½ teaspoon salt substitute
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 scallion
- 1 stalk celery
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8-inch whole-wheat wrap
Equipment and supplies:
- Baking sheet or shallow roasting pan
- Aluminum foil
- Knife and cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
What to do:
Instructions for cooking the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Line baking sheet or roasting pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray and place chicken on top.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray and season with salt substitute and black pepper. Roast for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool completely before pulling meat off of the bone and dicing. Chicken can be cooked a day or two in advance and kept refrigerated.
Instructions for making the salad:
- Finely chop scallion and celery.
- In a large bowl, combine the pre-made chicken, scallion, and celery, five-spice powder, pepper, and mayonnaise. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto wrap and place lettuce on top. Roll up, cut in half, and serve with some crispy fresh veggies.
How much does this recipe make? 2 servings
Tip: For packed lunches, keep the filling and wrap separate and combine just before eating so the wrap doesn't get soggy.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com