Mealtime Makeover: Whole-Wheat Pizza
By using whole-wheat crust, part-skim cheese, turkey pepperoni, and mixed vegetables, this pizza offers kids more of the nutrients they need, with less fat and fewer calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 ready-to-bake whole-wheat pizza crust (10 inches in diameter)
- ½ c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. shredded part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- ½ c. (17 slices) turkey pepperoni
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 (2 slices) medium pizza (typical delivery-style pizza with pepperoni and thin crust)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (204° C).
- Spread pizza sauce on crust.
- Spread cheese on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle sliced mushrooms and pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
Serving size: 2 slices
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|This Recipe||Traditional Recipe|
|395 calories||570 calories|
|22 g protein||22 g protein|
|11 g fat||26 g fat|
|3.6 g sat. fat||10 g sat. fat|
|52 g carbohydrate||62 g carbohydrate|
|8 g fiber||3 g fiber|
|24 mg cholesterol||26 mg cholesterol|
|980 mg sodium||1507 mg sodium|
|160 mg calcium||259 mg calcium|
|1 mg iron||4 mg iron|
|n/a mcg folic acid||n/a mcg folic acid|
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use some of your favorite veggies for toppings instead of pepperoni and mushrooms. Peppers, broccoli, spinach, or fresh tomatoes are good options.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com