Berry Good Muffins
Note: This recipe is for people following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet. However, this recipe may include ingredients such as dairy or other animal-based products that may not fit in with vegan or some other vegetarian diets.
Serve these tasty muffins for breakfast or as an after-school snack.
Prep time: 40 minutes
What you need:
- 1-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 c. blueberries
- 3/4 c. raspberries
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 425° F (218° C).
- Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Add milk and vegetable oil to the beaten egg.
- Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 146 calories
- 4g protein
- 4g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 23g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 18mg cholesterol
- 227mg sodium
- 103mg calcium
- 1mg iron
Serving size: 1 muffin
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chopped nuts. You can use a variety of berries. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com