Chicken and Veggie Soup With Pasta
Prep time: 10–15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Recipe makes: 6 servings, 1 cup each
What you need:
- 1 box (32 oz.) low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 small carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 1 small apple
- 1 c. whole-wheat pasta shells (or any other small whole-wheat pasta)
- 1/2 c. baby spinach, finely chopped
Equipment and supplies:
- Knives and cutting boards (for food safety, use a separate knife and cutting board for chicken tenders)
- Medium-sized stock pot
What to do:
- Peel and finely chop the carrots and onion. Finely chop the celery and spinach, setting the spinach aside. Cut the apple in half and remove the core (leave the skin on).
- With a separate knife and cutting board, cut chicken tenders into ½-inch chunks.
- Pour the chicken stock (broth) into a medium stockpot set over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Gently drop in chicken tenders, lower the heat slightly and continue to boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, remove the garlic pieces and apple. Stir in pasta shells. Cook until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped spinach. Season with salt substitute and pepper and serve.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 170 calories
- 22g protein
- 0.5g fat
- 0g sat. fat
- 23g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 45mg cholesterol
- 120mg sodium
- 5g sugars
Serving size:1 cup
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com