Cocoa, Almond, and Oat Clusters
Prep time: 25 minutes
Recipe makes: 12 heaping tablespoon-sized balls
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 4 tablespoons yogurt spread (also can use vegetable oil spread)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup smooth, unsalted almond butter (or other nut or soy butter)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins
Equipment and Supplies:
- Baking sheet
- Wax paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring spoons
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Place oats into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and yogurt spread over medium heat. When the spread is melted, whisk in brown sugar and cocoa powder. Stir continuously while you bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and continue cooking the sauce for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in almond butter, vanilla extract, and raisins. Immediately pour the sauce over the rolled oats and stir well until oats are completely covered in sauce.
- Using a tablespoon-size measuring spoon, scoop mixture in rounded balls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Allow clusters to set for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2017 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com