Pan-Grilled Chicken Over Salad
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Recipe makes: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves, about 3 ounces each
- Salt substitute and pepper
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons light dressing (optional)
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board for chopping
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cooking spray
- Grill pan (one with ridges on the bottom works best)
- Meat thermometer (optional)
- Sprinkle the parsley and rosemary over the chicken breasts. Coat the grill pan with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. Pan-grill the chicken breasts, turning them over halfway through cooking. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes per side, but be sure to test for doneness.
The best way to know when the chicken is done is to check it with a meat thermometer: Chicken is fully cooked when it has an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). If you don't have a meat thermometer, cut all the way into the chicken to be sure it's no longer pink.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, red onions, and tomato to the grill pan. Cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Toss the salad greens with the dressing (if using), then put the greens on 4 plates and top with the chicken breasts and vegetables. Season with salt substitute and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com