Berry Good Muffins
Note: This recipe is for people following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet. However, this recipe may include ingredients such as dairy or other animal-based products that may not fit in with vegan or some other vegetarian diets.
Serve these tasty muffins for breakfast or as an after-school snack.
Prep time: 40 minutes
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. rolled oats
¼ c. brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 c. skim milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1¼ c. blueberries
¾ c. raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 425º Fahrenheit (218º Celsius).
- Line the cups of a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine milk, egg, and oil. Whisk together.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture in the large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
Serving size: 1 muffin
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
4 g protein
4 g fat
1 g sat. fat
23 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
18 mg cholesterol
227 mg sodium
103 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chopped nuts. You can use a variety of berries. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2022 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com