Support throughout the grieving process
The Minnesota Sudden Infant Death (SID) Center counsels families and all affected individuals by offering a wide range of information and support. These include funeral assistance for newly bereaved families, grief resources, a parent support group, our center newsletters for bereaved parents.
Funeral assistance available
With the generous support of two families’ fundraisers – the Ray Gregory Labatt Memorial and Noah Joseph Rogers Memorial – the Minnesota SID Center is able to provide funeral assistance to newly bereaved families. We will be able to provide up to $500 to help with such things as burial assistance, headstones, flowers, transportation, clothing, etc. There is no income requirement or applications to complete. Families should contact the Minnesota SID Center for more information.
Publications for parents, families, friends and grandparents
- The death of a child, the grief of the parents: A lifetime journey
- Helping children cope with grief when an infant dies
- Selected resources for grieving parents, their families, friends, and other caregivers
- A message to bereaved grandparents
- When a grandchild dies
- How do I know if I need counseling?
- Using the tasks of mourning to soothe holiday heartaches
- How to honor your loved one during the holidays
- The Challenges and Gifts of Winter to Your Grief
- For adults
- For children
- For teens
- DVDs for families and professionals from The Children’s Hospital in Colorado
Parent support group
The parent support group meets on the first Wednesday of the month from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. This support group is for parents whose baby has died suddenly and unexpectedly from any cause. The group provides an opportunity to meet with bereaved parents for support and to talk about feelings, thoughts and problems with others who “have been there.” There is no pressure on participants to talk. Many find comfort in being with others who have had experiences similar to their own.
For more information contact the Center at 612-813-6285 or [email protected]