Veggie Barley Salad
Note: This recipe, created by Mac Wirth of Idaho, won a national contest and was served at a White House lunch for kids. His salad combines whole grains (barley) and vegetables, all topped with a fresh dressing. (If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife.)
Prep time: 1 hour, plus refrigerate overnight
What you need:
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or any other mild vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot for cooking the barley
- Large bowl
What to do:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the barley and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer barley to a large bowl.
- Add the tomato, carrots, bell pepper, and spinach. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, olive or grapeseed oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the barley salad and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight for best results
How much does this recipe make?
- 4 servings
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com