Eating disorders program information
At Children’s Minnesota’s Center for the Treatment of Eating Disorders, after a comprehensive assessment our team develops an individualized approach for each patient. We offer customized inpatient and outpatient treatment for children, adolescents and adults. We use the latest evidence-based eating disorder treatments, including:
- Family-Based Treatment (FBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy–Enhanced (CBT-E)
- Unified protocol (UP) for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders
Everyone on the team — including psychiatrists, psychologists, hospitalists, dietitians and social workers — has special training in motivational strategies and the core treatments for eating disorders in children, adolescents and adults with anorexia, bulimia and other types of eating disorders. We offer inpatient treatments for young patients up to college age at Children’s Minnesota – St. Paul.
The Center for the Treatment of Eating Disorders is the only hospital-based program in the Twin Cities to offer immediate access for medical stabilization. In other words, if a child, adolescent or young adult is experiencing medical complications from an eating disorder, we’ll admit him or her to the hospital right away — any time of day or night — and our expert staff will help the patient reach a stable condition.
Here’s more on how we can help heal:
- Care around the clock. To help patients reach a stable condition in the hospital, Children’s Minnesota provides around-the-clock care, including monitoring, nutritional rehabilitation, high staff-to-patient ratios and access to any specialists that are needed.
- Staying in your element. If a patient is healthy enough, we focus on treatment in outpatient, or the clinic, so they are able to remain in their everyday environment and learn to change and recover while going about the activities of daily life.
- Family-centered care. Family members play an active, positive role in helping kids recover. We view family members as importance resources for recovery.
At Children’s Minnesota, we’re committed to finding the best eating disorder treatment to help you or your child fully recover.