What to expect during your visit
Depending on the level of care needed, your child may be seen in a hospital (inpatient) or clinic (outpatient) setting. Inpatient services can include general surgery, consultations and follow-up care.
If your child comes to us because of an emergency or trauma, he or she will start in the emergency room, where pediatric orthopedists are always available to work together with ER doctors. The pediatric-trained orthopedists are on call 24/7 at both our Minneapolis and St. Paul hospitals.
If your child has a scheduled appointment, be sure to bring the following:
- Any questions you have (it can be helpful to write these out so you remember them)
- Recent medical history
- A list of medications and allergies
- Any paperwork provided by a referring physician
- Your insurance card and co-pay (when applicable)
- Your child’s favorite toy, blanket, book or activity (helpful for long visits)
It’s common that your child may need imaging and other tests. Depending on the injury or condition, these might include lab work, CT scans, MRIs, X-rays and ultrasounds, among others. We also may refer your child to additional specialists, if needed.
If you have any questions in the meantime—or if you think of anything after your child’s first appointment—please feel free to call us at 651-220-5700.