Meet the team
Surgical specialists at your service
At Children’s Minnesota, we’ve found the winning formula for pediatric surgery. We bring together top-notch surgeons, nurse practitioners, nurses, anesthesiologists and other health professionals. Then we give them an opportunity to work in one of the nation’s leading surgical programs devoted exclusively to kids.
The surgical care teams are made up of several types of dedicated professionals:
- Pediatric surgeons specialize in the types of surgeries performed for fetuses, infants, children, teens and young adults. These surgeons represent a number of subspecialties, such as heart, brain and cancer surgery. Collectively, they cover the head-to-toe surgical needs of young patients.
- Pediatric nurse practitioners and nurses play key roles on our surgical teams. The intensive care nurses who care for our surgery patients have an average of 10 years of experience in the pediatric intensive care units at Children’s.
- Pediatric anesthesiologists are highly trained physicians who manage sedation and anesthesia before, during and after surgery to help children stay calm, comfortable and safe.
- Pediatric certified registered nurse anesthetists, (CRNAs) are master’s prepared advance practice nurses who provide anesthetics to patients.
- Pediatric critical care specialists are specially trained physicians who provide expert, 24/7 care in our pediatric intensive care units.
- Pediatric pain specialists work with families to help manage kids’ pain and symptoms.
- Child life specialists work with children, teens and families to minimize the stress of surgery.
- Social workers help families find community resources and make postoperative plans. They also provide emotional support and counseling.
If you’re visiting us, keep an eye out for our team leader:
- David J. Schmeling, MD
Chief of surgery at Children’s
See below for a list of our all-star surgeons, doctors and nurse practitioners in various surgical specialties. (Click on their names to read their profiles.)