Taking the fear — and tears — out of surgery
At Children’s Minnesota, we know that coming to the hospital for brain or spinal cord surgery isn’t something kids — or parents — look forward to. That’s why we’ve designed every aspect of your child’s stay for maximum comfort.
Our dedicated neurosurgery team is committed to making this experience as comfortable as possible for your child and family. We’re here for you when questions or concerns come up. And we specialize in the little things that mean a lot, like cheesy knock-knock jokes and scented anesthesia masks.
We also mix in a little fun where we can. The Karen and George Benz Family Pediatric Neuroscience Center features an in-room Xbox and private play areas. And because we know you’ll want to be at your child’s side, we’ve built in plenty of amenities for parents too.
Charting the path to Children’s neurosurgery unit
There several different ways kids might come to Children’s for neurosurgery:
- From the emergency department. Neurological emergencies like head and spine trauma may require surgical treatment.
- From another hospital. When a child needs brain or spinal cord surgery, hospitals across the region know Children’s is one of the best. We arrange transfers by ambulance, plane and helicopter to speed kids to the right level of care.
- From a doctor’s referral. Pediatricians in the Twin Cities and across the country trust Children’s for their patients’ neurosurgical care. And many families request our services after hearing about us from our patients.
Arriving for your appointment
Please arrive about 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment so we can complete the registration and insurance process. That way, we can more quickly concentrate on what’s most important —taking great care of your child. Remember to bring your ID and insurance card.
- Late Arrivals: If you arrive more than 15 minutes late for your appointment start time, you may need to wait, see a different clinician, or we may need to reschedule your appointment for another day.
- No Shows: If you need to cancel, please notify us at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
For more information, please read our full appointment policy.
Care that’s easy on kids — and families
After surgery, we take special steps to give pain the one-two punch so kids can heal faster and feel happier. From patient-controlled pain medications to integrative mind-body therapies, our acclaimed pain management program provides everything kids need to relax and return home sooner.
For more information on preparing for an operation, visit our surgical services page.